Friday, October 8, 2010

The Life Less Traveled: iContent

My life was going really well earlier this year until Apple announced the release of their newest technological wonder, the iPad. When I heard about all the incredible things this device could do, I realized I wasn’t truly happy. I was just kidding myself. How in the world could I possibly be content until I had one these for myself?

After all, Apple says it’s a “magical and revolutionary new product at an unbelievable price.” It’s not like I don’t have a boatload of gadgets - a laptop, iPod and e-book reader, just to name a few, but none of them are really magical or revolutionary. Apparently, though, the iPad is. If I just had this latest gizmo, I knew beyond the shadow of the doubt, then I’d be happy. Steve Jobs has finally created the product that could satisfy all my longings. And it would only cost me $500, a small price to pay for eternal bliss.

Let’s face it. I was suffering from a condition I call upgrade envy. Our technological age highlights this malady, but it’s been around since Adam and Eve first checked out some fruit in a garden. Upgrade envy goes far beyond tech gadgets. Your clothes looking a little out of style? How’s your car holding up? What is it about new, cool products that diminish our ability to simply enjoy what we have?

Maybe the device I really need is the iContent, a little black box that could block out all of the advertisements from my life and keep me from seeing the new stuff other people have. Maybe then I would have the time to savor the good things God’s given me instead of constantly seeking more. Now that would be magical and revolutionary indeed. I wonder if there’s an app for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment