Monday, October 11, 2010

The Life Less Traveled: Be Careful What You Wish For

Have you ever found yourself wishing your life away without even realizing it? I did. I remember walking the halls one bitter December night almost five years ago with my newborn daughter, Emma. She was a rotten sleeper, and, consequently, so were Mom and Dad. I remember being so desperate to lay my head down that I prayed, "God, just get me through this season. I'm ready for this part to be over."

The second it came out of my mouth, a thought popped into my head: "It will be over before you know it." I realized that if I wasn't careful, I would wish away the most precious days of my life.

Enjoy this moment, I thought. This isn't something to endure. This is life.

It's frightening how quickly a picture on an ultrasound becomes a picture on a driver's license, how preschool graduations become high school graduations and how my little girls who dress up as princesses today will someday dress up in bridal gowns.

Someday soon.

A few years ago, I saw a movie called "Click" about a guy with a magical remote control that enabled him to fast-forward through the unpleasant scenes of his life. In the end, he discovers that he's missed all the best parts, as well.

We're all a little like that, aren't we? Living for the future. Trying to just get through the day.

A king named David once prayed for God to remind him to number his days so that he could realize the brevity of his life and appreciate the time he had. Not a bad idea.

So, today, instead of hitting the fast-forward button on your life, join me in hitting "pause." Let's stop and enjoy the people God has blessed us with. Let's take a walk. Go out for ice cream. Have a water fight. Just play.

My youngest hasn't been sleeping well this week, but I'm not complaining. Instead, I'm holding her in my arms when she calls for me, and I'm savoring every minute because I know a day is coming when she won't call for me in the night. I'll have plenty of time to sleep, no toys to trip me up in the dark, and a vacant silence that is currently filled by the chatter and giggles of little girls.

On that day, I want no regrets. Only sweet memories and the satisfaction of a life fully lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment